Alright, already.  I'm doing a blog.  


Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's An Amplified Supersonic Signal



There once was a couple named Leber
As close as the flu and a fever.


Spelled backwards it's "rebel."
And at that they could excel.


Together they were a superheterodyne *receiver.















Hal and Jeanette 1946, Oakland





Better known as Mimi and Ardy, she outranked him when they first met.  It occurred to her she could order him to kiss her.  Which she did.  Which he did.  




*He loved to play around as a Ham radio operator, leaving and responding to cryptic messages the rest of us kids sort of tuned out.  As usual, though, she jumped in to the experience.  Later, after we had grown, when he went on the road for the Army (they were both Marines in WWII, not to be confused or diminished), she sold the house, bought an Airstream, and went on the road too.  When he bought an airplane, she learned how to fly.   






Hal and Jeanette, 1980, Sanger

4 comments:

Julie K said...

Mimi introduced me to Kelly, for which she will ever be an important figure in my life. Merry Miss's. She always had us over to her house for activities, and those activities always included Ardy teaching us how to crochet. What fun we had making little knotted, wadded crocheted things. Oh, and there were always refreshments. Let us not quickly glide over the refreshments.
Those scotty dogs. My first experience with the startling/disturbing realization regarding the difference between the sexes in animals came in her family room. I was looking out on to the patio at what was obvious, even to the untrained eye of a rather sheltered nine-year old, that THIS was a boy dog. I am just grateful she didn't keep horses.

Brittany said...

Mimi will always live as a legend in my mind. When I need a good chuckle I ask Trav for a story and he never fails to provide. I was lucky enough to actually meet Ardie and he too did not dissappoint, as few of the Ryans/lebers do.

Lisa said...

I feel left out; I didn't know them, but find the post intriguing. If I just made a typo I'm sure you cringed.

TNIRYAN said...

Okay, I feel like a doofus. I watched the "campaign" song with Rheanna looking over my shoulder, and was too busy listening to the words of the song to pay attention to the pictures. Then I hear Rheanna say, "that looks like Daddy! I think that's Daddy! Can we watch it again!" "Rheanna," I said, "that is NOT Daddy. It was just some random person. This video was put together by people who don't even know Daddy. Bottom line: I don't have time to watch it again." I probably rolled my eyes somewhere in the middle of that emphatic statement, too.

Then, today, I read my emails. And I read your email about someone recognizable being featured in the song. Someone who makes the same kind of face in every picture. At that point my head drops in embarassing regret because now I have to see it again to catch what I obviously missed the first time, Rheanna, who is once again right over my shoulder, is going to see it, and she is going to serve me up a big dish of crow! Dangit!