
I have often observed that Meriel thinks the word "cry" is a transitive verb, the significance of which varies the traditional definition in the following way:
Merriam Webster: to cry... shed tears
Meriel Ryan: to cry... make someone suffer
She told me yesterday that a playmate had made her angry. Assuring me she had exacted revenge, she simply said, "I cried at her."
If you've been cried at by Meriel, you know exactly where she's going with this.

Though approximately a decade old and a continent away, and never having actually met Meriel face-to-face, Taylor Bastian
must accept responsibility for teaching her cousin this emotional leverage. I can't explain how she did it. But she is the only person I know who could have done it. She set the standard for assault-crying long ago.
Meriel and Taylor, of course, need only cry.

Taylor, as I mentioned, set the standard for assault-crying. By age 3 1/2 she could melt down a
mountain. I've seen her do it.
I will limit myself to one example.
I had the privilege of accompanying Taylor and her ever-perfect brother, Carter, to church one Sunday by myself. A boy and girl their respective ages took the liberty of joining us on the pew. I agreed to this arrangement conditionally: If they were the slightest bit disruptive, I would separate guilty parties.

The boys hunkered down into some serious relatively quiet boy-play, the nature of which I preferred to keep a mystery.
Warning #2 was the result of a color crayon dispute.
Warning #3 followed a breath away, and I handled it calmly and with class. I stood briefly and slipped myself between the two girls. Problem solved.
And, to my horror, so did the thick-soled shoes as, in her rage, she flipped her feet up over her head and both shoes twirled a good 15 feet into the air over the unsuspecting heads of the congregation, landing squarely on ...well, I don't know who they landed on because, by the time they returned to land, I was on the other side of the building.
All the time, she was crying at me. This, I thought to myself, is what being beat up is like. The sound echoed down the corridor as I tried one classroom door after the other trying to find a muffling place. Finding one unlocked, we slipped in. It was a small storage room with a window. I set her there firmly and said, "When you stop crying, we can talk." I'm quite sure she couldn't hear me. I left her there and waited on the other side of the door.
What I would have liked was for her to self-destruct. I couldn't believe some stranger would think she could better handle my granddaughter than I could. I told her things were under control.
I told her that was probably unfair to the closet, but that these were desperate times. She left unconvinced. The noise behind the door vibrated the cinderblock walls.
Then ...it stopped.
I opened the door.
She was sitting exactly where I had put her, not a tear on her face, swinging her legs back and forth.
"Yep," she said, jumping from her perch. She took my hand, and --I'm not making this up-- hummed a primary tune on the way back to the chapel.

Taylor and Uncle Tim, Meriel's father.
5 comments:
Judy!!! Youpre back again! You sure know how to tell a story! That is really amazing. Those are some beautiful pics too! Love to read your stuff! I noticed you and Jacki have the same writing style-it's uncanny, but then again...who taught her English Writing along the way?
Oh that Taylor. How I sort of worship that girl. I gave birth to her twin (Josie) and you better believe Kelly and I often trade war stories. These girls. They bewitch you. If only I could teach Josie to use her powers for good and not evil. Sometimes I wonder, as I marvel at Josie's abilility to take a (running) flying leap from the 8 ft long granite topped island onto the kitchen table and back again, and as I applaud all her wall scaling efforts, I wonder if in fact I am the type of mom she needs. And even more often I wonder if she is the type of girl I need. But I do laugh a lot. When I am not being cried at.
Ahh . . . now I see why you wanted me to read this. And I was pleased that Taylor was made to take the blame instead of my parenting skills. It all makes sense now, even though Meriel and Taylor have almost never seen each other and even if they did, they are years apart in age, and would not play together, it still all makes perfect sense! I'm writing this after returning from soccer games, in which boy-headed Meriel cried so loudly at someone on the playground that the entire field heard it. Actually, I wouldn't call it loud so much as penetrating and deeply, DEEPLY irritating.
I guess the only difference between the two now is that one's hair is considerably shorter (against Irene's wishes).
So now it's settled... it's YOUR FAULT that I have a melt-down-drama-cryin' daughter! If Meriel has it too, then clearly it came from your gene pool. (And we all know that, ultimately, everything is the mom's fault, right?!?) So I guess I feel a little less sorry for you after reliving that horrible experience in church. I was there-I saw the shoe fly, I heard the volcano errupt, and I saw the heads turn. All I could think was, "I'm so glad my mom's here!" :) So, a word of advice to Irene who is a few years behind me in the melt-down-cry department: it doesn't go away, it just takes on a different form. We call them mood swings now, and one minute Taylor is packing her bags to move in with the neighbor and the next she is hugging me and telling me I'm the best mom in the world. (while singing a primary song.) Go figure. I prefer to think of it as "artistic temperament"- again, acquired from her artistic grandmother.
Post a Comment