



November is my grandmother's birth month.

I never liked Thomas Hood's old poem:
No sun -- No moon
No morn -- No noon
. . .
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruit, no flowers, no leaves, no birds...
November!
...though it certainly describes my perception of January:
No fruit, no flowers, no leaves, no birds...
January!
Okay, that just doesn't work. But neither does Hood's version.
November is delightful: the hope of Christmas before the rush, the memory of summer before the vines freeze and the ground gets crunchy, the time for thanks and food. Emphasis on food.
And my gramma's birth month.
- Alva Bell Kroll, 1935
- same lady around the time of my wedding, 1969
- Magu (named by Timothy when he was 3) holding Kasey, the child who most favors her, 1977
- Magu, having been decorated by Kelly and Kasey, 1979
...and this last one. Magu on her birthday with the kids in bed. Travis is clearly competing for attention. Mullet-haired Kasey is supplying that need. Magu and Kathryn are watching something more interesting on television. Probably Golden Girls.

On her lap is a quilt she hand-stitched in the 30's or 40's. Images of potted flowers. Flowers are supposed to be an archetypal representation of children. Here she is surrounded.
Happy Birthday, Magu.
5 comments:
Sometimes people throw around terms like "healthy breakfast" and "middle class" and "ancient Chinese secret" until they no longer have meaning. Like how people nowadays use the word "mullet" for any longish, dated, unflattering hairstyle. But Kasey's 'do there in bed with the rest--the grown-out-boy-cut and the long-haired-girl-cut, married skillfully at the very top of the crown, THAT is a mullet. And I appreciate you accurately identifying it as such.
Do I remember Magu, or just Kelly talking about her?
Those are SOME pictures you have there! What a priceless group you have! Funny poem. So "enlightening" I like your spin!
PS: My husband heard that Thanksgiving number that you led the choir in and said. "I wish it would never end...it was so beautiful" I think the whole congregation was in a Spirit of Awe & Wonder. I know the choir participants were very excited about singing that piece. Great choice! Good Job-You ALWAYs do a wonderful job in all your endeavors. I want to know what you're up to this year-you always have something up your sleeve at this time of year. Love Ya Judy!
I'm seeing a lot of Atticus in that face of baby Kasey. And it's good to know that I'm not the only child that suffered from "mullet hair."
That poem about November was pretty harsh. Clearly written by someone with an unhealthy love for spring and summer and unresolved issues with Fall. Of course, I always felt that my birthday in March (which, in Idaho, is cold, brown, and windy) was the only thing to save an otherwise unredeemable month. Is "unredeemable" a word, or did I just make it up?
That poem makes me want to admit myself! Post something for DECEMBER would you? Some of us are your fans you know.
I suppose that poem could be a reflection on your blog updates! Hahahahaha or as they write in spanish, jajajajaja.
Post a Comment